Answer: People who try to slim down often try to cut out all indulgent foods, but eventually, this approach backfires. If you’re following an overly restrictive diet, you’re more likely to go overboard on your vices. Cutting out your vices completely can activate the brain’s stress system, making you want to eat those foods even more.
Losing pounds and keeping them off depends on learning to balance your diet without depriving yourself, and eating in a way you can maintain. Try following the 80-20 rule. Eat great 80 percent of the time, and allow room for small treats the other 20 percent. As long as you are reducing your overall intake, you don’t need to nix any one food from your diet.
Several months ago I began to training a man, let’s call him“Bob”. When we met he weighed 263 pounds on a 5’6” frame (he is rather big boned!). His body fat percentage was 38.4%
Bob is an accomplished businessman who doesn’t have time or energy to take proper care of himself. He travels often. He spends time at airports and hotels where he wasn’t eating the most nutritious food. Then there are the business lunches and dinners which require, according to Bob, steak, wine, sometimes even dessert and after dinner drinks. Weekend golf with clients during the warm weather can involve poor choices such as hotdogs for lunch (“that’s all they offered”, he said) and maybe cocktails on the course.
Lifestyle and poor food choices zap Bob’s energy. In the early morning, which would be a perfect time for him to exercise, he’s tired. Lots of things on his mind: family, his workweek, making travel arrangements….he doesn’t sleep well. He often complains of aches and pains, lower back, shoulders and legs.
He does exercise with me once or twice per week when he is in town.
I asked “Bob” if I sent him a daily email to remind him to eat healthy, to exercise, to stretch, to meditate, etc., did he think that would help him to get on the right track? He responded “Yes, I think it would help me.”
Well I am thrilled to report that by sending “Bob” a daily message he has a weight loss of 30 pounds and has dropped his body fat down several points as well. He’s eating clean, nutritious foods. He’s stronger, leaner and much fitter. He’s planning on taking up biking again, a sport he enjoyed and raced in when he was younger. He has set a new goal to drop down to 195 pounds in a reasonable amount of time.
Congratulation “Bob”! I am here to help you on your journey!
Happily, I Blog for Bob 🙂
CrossFit is a program designed to increase your strength and condition your body. This exercise
program is constantly varied, high intensity, functional movement. CrossFit workouts are
generally 20 minutes and is an intense and demanding physical workout. CrossFit uses many
movements such as sprinting, rowing, jumping rope, and weightlifting.
The benefits of CrossFit includes cardiovascular and respiratory endurance, stamina, flexibility,
strength, speed, and balance.
A CrossFit routine could be monitored to the individual. You could try this routine to get started,
it is a basic circuit that involves a number of core exercises and it does not involve a great level
21 Push ups (the females will do these on their knees)
15 Push ups
9 Push ups
A recent study showed that individuals who ran more than 50 miles per week had significantly greater increases in HDL cholesterol (good fat) and significantly greater decreases in body fat, triglyceride levels, and the risk of coronary heart disease than individuals who ran less than 10 miles per week. In addition, the long-distance runners had a nearly 50% reduction in high blood pressure and more than a 50% reduction in the use of medications to lower blood pressure and plasma cholesterol levels.
The American College of Sports Medicine recommends that all healthy adults should do the following 4:
1. Frequency of training: three to five days per week
2. Intensity of training: 55/65%-90% of maximum heart rate
3. Duration of training: 20-60 minutes of continuous or intermittent aerobic activity
4. Mode of activity: any activity that uses large muscle groups, which can be maintained continuously, and is rhythmical and aerobic in nature (for example, walking-hiking, running-jogging, cycling-bicycling, cross-country skiing, aerobic dance/group exercise, rope skipping, rowing, stair climbing, swimming, skating, and various endurance game activities or some combination thereof).