Reasons to Quit Smoking
Smoking is one of the leading causes in preventable diseases and deaths, though nearly 480,000 deaths occur every year every year (equivalent to 1 in every 5 deaths.) It is estimated that nearly 40 million adults in the United States alone currently smoke cigarettes though. The reasons to quit smoking are endless; immediate results include whiter teeth, lower blood pressure, and everyday activities become much easier (such as climbing stairs.) However, the long term effects are reasons enough to quit.
One reason to quit is that smoking is expensive. Multiply the amount you spend for cigarettes a day by 365. That is how much you spend for cigarettes a year. Multiply that by the amount of years you’ve been smoking, and that’s the amount you’ve spent so far on smoking. After several years of smoking, you have to add the medical costs to this. You’d be surprised at how expensive it will become.
The health benefits of quitting smoking are far greater than any risks from the emotional or psychological problems that may follow quitting. You have people you can turn to in times of need, and they’ll always be happy to help.
- Smoking shortens a person’s life by nearly 12 years.
- Smoking accounts for about 30% of all cancer deaths in the United States
- Smoking is a risk factor in cancers of the mouth, voice box, throat, kidney, liver, and many more
- Smoking leads to COPD, which makes it hard for the person to breath, even at rest. In later stages, the person may gasp for breath, feeling as though they are drowning.
- Smoking also causes premature skin aging, decrease of sense of smell and taste, lower bone density, frequent headaches, and many more.
The reasons to quit smoking are endless; but the major reason is your loved ones. You need to set an example for your friends and family. Most smokers say they don’t want their children to smoke, though children of smokers are more likely to smoke. Loved ones want to see you in a better condition, and they’d be happy to help you on you journey.
Meditate and Rejuvenate
Just a few minutes, a few deep breathes and you will be feeling refreshed!
Try my technique:
• Find a quiet place where you can completely relax. Allow yourself to sit or lie in a comfortable position. Tell yourself you will awaken refreshed after 10minutes. (5 minutes will work!)
• Begin by focusing your eyes upward above your line of sight. Take in a long, slow, deep breath. As you slowly exhale think “relax, relax within”. Another deep breath in and on the exhale repeat to yourself “relax, relax within”. Repeat approximately six more times. Your eyes should start to become fatigued. Close them.
• You may repeat the phrase quietly to yourself “ I close my eyes and I revive”
• Imagine relaxation beginning in your toes. You may imagine it in the form of a color, such as a soothing aqua blue liquid. Allow that relaxation to spread upwards into your feet and ankles. Allow that feeling of relaxing to spread upward into your shins and calves, knees and hollow of your knees, your thighs and back of your thighs. Allow that relaxation, that soothing liquid to flow up into your abdomen, your chest, heart and lungs. Continue this process throughout your entire body.
• Next, imagine yourself in a special place of relaxation. We’ll call it “your place.” It might be lying on a beach on a warm summer day, or relaxing in the country by a peaceful river or stream. You might prefer being in your backyard or garden or even in your home.
• Count yourself up with 1-10 giving suggestions for well being, energy, happiness.
I like biking because it makes me feel like a kid again. Just hopping on my bike, going from block to block with friends the neighborhood, just felt good as a child. It felt good then and it feels good now! The wind in your hair, heart pumping as I enter the slope of the hill -maybe having a destination in mind, maybe not.
It’s meditation in motion. You can problem solve while you are biking. Forgetting about the issue for the time you are out while your subconscious mind works on the solution.
Being outside in nature can also have a positive effect on your mental and emotional well-being. Pumping the heart and filling the lungs has healthful benefits for your cardiovascular system.
Calories…. Yes, you burn calories while biking too!!!!! In just 30 minutes you can burn over 250 calories!
So get outside and hop on that bike for fun and fitness!!