The American College of Sports Medicine recommends that all healthy adults should do the following:
1. Frequency of training: three to five days per week
2. Intensity of training: 55/65%-90% of maximum heart rate
3. Duration of training: 20-60 minutes of continuous or intermittent aerobic activity
4. Mode of activity: any activity that uses large muscle groups, which can be maintained continuously and is rhythmical and aerobic in nature (for example, walking-hiking, running-jogging, cycling, bicycling, cross-country skiing, aerobic dance/group exercise, rope skipping, rowing, stair climbing, swimming, skating, and various endurance game activities or some combination thereof).
Regular cardiovascular exercise is key to keeping up with your overall health and fitness.
In just a few minutes you will be feeling relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world!
• Find a quiet place where you can completely relax. Allow yourself to sit or lie in a comfortable position. Tell yourself you will awaken refreshed after 10minutes. (5 minutes will work!)
• Begin by focusing your eyes upward above your line of sight. Take in a long, slow, deep breath. As you slowly exhale think “relax, relax within”. Another deep breath in and on the exhale repeat to yourself “relax, relax within”. Repeat approximately six more times. Your eyes should start to become fatigued. Close them.
• Imagine relaxation beginning in your toes. You may imagine it in the form of a color, such as a soothing aqua blue liquid. Allow that relaxation to spread upwards into your feet and ankles. Allow that feeling of relaxing to spread upward into your shins and calves, knees and hollow of your knees, your thighs and back of your thighs. Allow that relaxation, that soothing liquid to flow up into your abdomen, your chest, heart and lungs. Continue this process throughout your entire body.
• Next, imagine yourself in a special place of relaxation. We’ll call it “your place.” It might be lying on a beach on a warm summer day, or relaxing in the country by a peaceful river or stream. You might prefer being in your backyard or garden or even in your home.
• You may repeat the phrase quietly to yourself “ ”I am calm, I am relaxed, I am in control. Stress bounces off and away from me…off and away.”
• Count yourself up with 1-10 giving suggestions for well being, energy, happiness.